All phases of life are accompanied by important decisions. Pursuing higher education, choosing a spouse, building a career, starting a family, or buying a home are just a few of these choices, all of which may require the help and advice of trusted legal counsel. But, regardless of our chosen paths, there’s one finality that we all must face – the day we are called home. And when that time comes, it is extremely important that we have taken the time to make sure that our finances, property, and families are taken care of when we are gone.
Life planning is perhaps the most critical moment when a combination of sound legal advice and thoughtful planning are key. How will your spouse and children be taken care of after you pass on? What will happen to your property? What about any bank accounts or other financial interests you hold? Taking a little time to plan for these matters in advance will ensure that your wishes and the best interest of your loved ones are taken care of in your absence.
Are you confident that your life planning efforts are up-to-spec? Take a minute to review The Wade Law Firm’s abbreviated life planning checklist and consider whether your plans include the following essential legal documents:
- Durable Power of Attorney – to see that your property is cared for by a trusted proxy in line with your desires
- Trust Arrangement – if necessary, it will help ensure that loved ones are provided for in a responsible manner
- Advance Directive Health Care – to ensure your healthcare wishes are followed if you are incapacitated and unable to speak for yourself
- Will – to direct the disposition of your property
- Life Planning Dossier – to place all legal, personal, and financial papers in a location where they may be easily accessed by your agent or next of kin when needed
How do your current life planning efforts stack up? If you aren’t confident that your plans are where they should be, you’d be wise to contact an experienced life planning attorney. Life planning is not a one-time event; it is an ongoing process. As your family and finances – and even laws – grow and change, your plans should be reviewed and updated to match current conditions. This is why trusted legal counsel is absolutely indispensable in making these decisions.
With more than 18 years of legal experience in all facets of life planning practice, Attorney Vangela M. Wade is here to serve the needs of clients whose objectives and goals require personalized solutions to their legal needs. Get in touch with The Wade Law Firm, PLLC in the Jackson Metro Area and let us see how we can help you meet your life planning goals.